Province to extend Hwy 417

The “light at the end of the tunnel” has turned into an oncoming train. 

It may still be moving slowly, but at least it’s moving.

The County of Renfrew announced last week that it has received a copy of a letter from Ontario Minister of Transportation Steven Del Duca to local MPP John Yakabuski in which Del Duca says work on extending Highway 417 west will be moving forward.

“I am pleased to advise you that the ministry did secure approval to proceed with detail design for the next phase of expansion of Highway 17 from Scheel Drive to 3 km west of Bruce Street (town of Renfrew),” the letter stated.

The letter outlined that the MTO will now be acquiring design consultants, continuing with property acquisitions, utility relocations, environmental approvals, consultations with Indigenous communities, the public and stakeholders.

Once construction funding is confirmed, the Ministry will identify the project in their five-year plan portion of the Southern Highways Program.

County Warden Jennifer Murphy welcomed the news.

“I want to thank Minister Del Duca and the provincial cabinet for their decision to move this project forward,” she said in a release from the county.

“This announcement allows the Ministry to move forward with all the steps that lead to getting the highway corridor ready for four lane expansion to just past Renfrew.”

> for more on this story, pick up a copy of the August 16 North Renfrew Times…